The Sarccastik Conjugate

Monday, October 30, 2006

The Evolution of The QB

The Evolution of the Quarterback....

It always surprises me when we get a QB with the phenomal skills to throw and run at the same time. Something that NFL leagues are still not used to since Randall Cunningham did it in the early 90's. What I find fascinating is when there was a lack of African-American QB's in the league supposedly because we "wasn't smart enough" for the position.

I'm like every other African-American who was watching Doug Williams (SWAC..Grambling State) dissect the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl to win the Super Bowl MVP. When I saw the opporunity that was giving to the Redskins, a proven QB whom given the chance, can really show his talents and that is exactly what he did. He tied the Super Bowl record with four touchdown passes, all of which came in the second quarter. He also had 340 yards for another Super Bowl Record.

The reason I'm talking about this, I hate to see other African-American football players in the NFL don't recognize other African-American QB's. I hate to hear players refer to Michael Vick as a running back who can throw. You're are not helping the evolution of African-American QB's that might come after him. We all know about the debacle in Philadelphia about Donovan McNabb vs. Terrell Owens. I hated to see that, you were just "increasing" the image that the majority of the population have against the African-American QB. And when Shannon Sharpe said things like, "Second is his inability to throw the football with any consistency. You can't have that. And another thing I don't like is that it's everyone else's problem that Michael Vick hasn't gotten better. It is Michael Vick's problem." It just bothers me when other African-American players are not "ensuring" that Michael Vick is a QB. How in the hell does a "running back who can throw" win 60% of his career games, take a team to the NFC Championship, winning playoff games, took the falcons to win in Lambeau field to beat Favre and the Packers.

If players continue to push the "he's a running back who can throw" BS, how in the hell will we have more QB's in the NFL, when our own players are tearing us down? Comments, suggestions?
posted by The Sarccastik Variable Why at 8:07 AM

3 Comments:

Doug Williams! Way to represent my school on a post! THAT'S why I fux witcha.

He did work for the Skins...Won the Bowl and every since then...NO love...like fuk!? Even Difer gets a shout out here and there.

I dunno...I kinda feel the other way about the label 'running QB' it is what it is...and that's what he does; I think we (black people) make more of it than need be...They called Steve Young the same thing for a little bit...it's just that black QB's do it better/more effective so they get the label.

If they couldn't play the position they wouldn't put them behind center...if they weren't faster than everyone else and run for big gains they wouldn't call them running QBs

What's MORE Bullshit to be is Donovan (granted not a fan) Saying he doesnt want to run to get away from the label...fuk all that, do what you have to do to win...can't plaease everyone; do your job.

That's why Vick is playing better this year than last...he's just playing his game. One week he runs for 2 TD's the next he passes for 3..

QB is QB

You got:
Vick
Mcnabb
Mcnair
Culpepper
Leftwhich
A Brooks
V. Young
and about 3 or 4 2nd String back up black QB's

And Troy Smith is coming

...we'll be okay.

Love the post homie

eclectik-relaxation

4:25 AM  

It makes me laugh when people say that AA's are not smart enough to play quarterback. It's motherfucking football not rocket science. Black people are lawyers and doctors I think we're smart enough to follow some dude on the side of the field yelling in our ear to throw a damn ball. Also, MV will always get more criticism than a white QB. Always. You need to have a tougher skin if you are black in almost any field.

3:26 PM  

a quaterback is a quaterback to me...I've always seen Vick as a qb and you know people always try to give that negative image of black players and they just wait for the black qb or the black coach to slip up...I think it is neccesary for a qb to be able to run and throw...I'll admit there or times when I like to see them just throw the ball and run less and not worry about being hurt but if it gets a win then I say do what is needed just run wisely to a point where your not putting your arm in any harms way...I think it might be a feeling of jealousy on the players who tear the black qb down because they feel as if he thinks he is at a higher value then them cause not only can he do his job he can run and do yours...no one wants to be outshined...

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home