The Sarccastik Conjugate

Monday, January 22, 2007

Brutha Bowl I



Good morning, Fam...I drove in quickly to start this blog. This has been a long time coming, 2 brothers coaching against each other in the Super Bowl. I was just reading about some of the Racism in the NFL below:

As Michael Wilbon likes to say, "Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining." Progress will be when 65 percent of coaches are African-American, not 12 percent. The fact this shameful disparity is not discussed openly is part of the problem, not a sign that we are in a "post-racist" moment. Right now, as the coaching vacancies pile up, it is precisely the time to talk about it.

Be prepared with hearing about more and more stories in the NFL ranks about being a black NFL Head Coach. Some folks will get tired of the story and say, "Race is not an issue, I think they are great coaches". They are good coaches, but to say race is not an issue, is not believable, just (what) 15 to 20yrs ago, we (African-Americans) wasn't smart enough to coach and or become a QB.

Lovie Smith quoted it very well "Of course, it would be special if that happened," Smith said. "I hope for a day when it is unnoticed but that day isn't here. This is the first time, I think, two black men have led their teams to the final four. You have to acknowledge that. I do, we do. I realize the responsibility that comes with that."

Oops i forgot...congrats to my 1st favorite team Pittsburgh...2nd team Atlanta but anyway...Pittsburgh hired Mike Tomlin...Have a good day!!!!

posted by The Sarccastik Variable Why at 7:08 AM

7 Comments:

Okay... so I was out to eat last night at Ham's. The joint was pretty much empty and the staff was crowded around one of the many wall-mounted tv sets.

When the game was over the waitress came back our table next to tears informing us that a team was going to the Superbowl. Me and my friend had just finished discussing how much we are NOT into sports unless the man we're dating is...

The man I'm dating is not, and neither am I.

10:33 AM  

Im sad :(

11:40 AM  

I'm glad to see two black coaches go to the superbowl, but that is pretty bad when we don't even have that many black coaches and how the nfl constantly judges the performance of black qb and coaches. also I'm glad tomlin got the job, he is a pretty young coach, its about time they hired some eye candy for coaching...lol

2:43 PM  

well good for the coaches. You know I'm not into sports but I agree with what you said :)

@ Sarccastik

Hey what can I say? I grew up in a "country" family

4:43 PM  

Well I hate football but since we're on the subject...that Braylon Edwards dude is HAWT. Too bad his fine ass isn't going to the Superbowl.

On and in NBA news, my Suns are on an 11 game winning streak!

Yay!

1:41 AM  

I'm pretty tired of the race card.

11:53 AM  

I'm mad, man! This thing ate my comment!

Anyway, I agree with Mr. Smith...we all hope for a day when they are called two COACHES, rather than two Af/Am coaches.

Plain and straight.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home