The Sarccastik Conjugate

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

First Bithday..

My child's first birthday will be here on sunday. My wife and I are getting some flack from our relatives about not throwing anything big. We agreed to throw her a small party. Really small...just my wife and I and our 1 year old bundle of joy. Some of our relatives are making it a bigger issue than it needs to be. My brother called me (put up to it by my parents) and was asking me questions like, "What will ya'll do for her birthday?" , I said we haven't planned anything, it will be something small just for us. My brother continues to say, "It's her 1st birthday, you're not throwing a big party or anything?"...I continued to say, no, we will just throw something for us, take pictures and take her to the park, maybe mcdonald's play gym buy her an outfit and just enjoy the day. My brother says, "Okay....just let me know what's going on?"...I had to let him know, look dude, we're not excluding any of my parents or her parents...we just decided to have her 1st birthday with us....as she gets older of course we will throw a big b'day party probably when she's two years old. I talked to my parents, and they didn't seem like they were disappointed or anything about my child's b'day coming up. I think the biggest thing that amazes me is when you are in a happily married home, that there are outside forces that try and change that happiness. My parents and her parents, really don't respect our decisions as a family....Either, "Ya'll don't know anything about kids" or "I know that the doctor said she's a healthy baby, but don't you think she's a little too small for her age?"....Huh!!!!!! I don't know if it's a situation that want to control, like they controlled us when we were kids (I'm not saying control is a bad thing) We've had to deal with more issues (my parents more than anything) with our child's well being more than anything else.
It seems like everybody wants to control how we raise our daughter. Now don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that we are so stubborn that we don't listen to our parents on certain things. We ask questions, they give us their opinion, we talk amongst ourselves and either agree or disagree with the decision. Since my daughter's birth, our parents (my parents in particular) try to pull, push, tug or manhandle our lives. If it's anything I got from my wife is to "nip it in the bud" when our parents try do or say anything we don't agree with especially when it comes to our daughter, our first born. Nothing will ever get in the way of her. All this drama for her 1st birthday.....I wouldn't trade this for the world.
posted by The Sarccastik Variable Why at 8:13 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home